I am always looking for salads that don’t make you feel like you are eating a salad, but an actual meal.This does the trick. Not only that, but it makes you feel summer is coming with the basil and char on the steak and peppers. I can feel my feet in the sand now and the waves crashing on the beach….oh wait I don’t live in California anymore. Scratch that. I can feel the extreme Texas heat and bugs everywhere, but hey, summer anywhere is still summer.
Prep the veggies to be charred:
Cook the steak:
CHILI RUBBED STEAK AND ROASTED PEPPER SALAD
FOR THE SALAD:
- 4 Cups Romaine Lettuce, Shredded
- 8 oz skirt steak
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 Bell Peppers
- 3 Shallots
- 2 TBSP Grated Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Cup Basil, Shredded
- 4 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar
- FOR THE STEAK RUB:
- 2 TBSP Chili Powder
- 1 TBSP Brown Sugar
- 1 TBSP Paprika
- 1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
- 1 TBSP Salt
- 1 TBSP Ground Pepper
FOR THE CROUTONS:
- 2 Ciabatta Rolls
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
- 1 TBSP Onion Powder
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix together. Rub on both sides of skirt steak. Place in a container and place in the fridge for at least 40 minutes to overnight.
- Preheat the broiler and grill pan on high. Chop bell pepper into ½ inch slices. Slice shallot into thin ¼ inch rings. In a large bowl, toss with 1 TBSP olive oil and place on baking sheet. Slice ciabatta into bite-sized pieces. On a separate baking sheet, toss ciabatta with 1 TBSP olive oil. Sprinkle garlic and onion powder on bread.Place in oven, with veggies on upper rack and bread on lower and cook for 15 minutes.
- Reverse trays with the bread tray on top and the veggie tray below and cook for 2 more minutes. Cook the bread until it is golden brown. Cook the veggies until they are soft and slightly charred.
- Meanwhile, cook a steak by placing on a hot grill pan for 3 minutes per side.
- Serve salad. Place romaine on the bottom, then half the veggies on each plate, then the croutons, basil, Parmesan cheese, and steak. Drizzle red wine vinegar over top.