This is the boyfriends all time favorite dish. He would like it injected into his body via IV, but I require the normal method of ingestion, which includes a spoon. This is a low fat, healthy dish with a great depth of flavor.
Make the Pico De Gallo:
You can make this ahead of time and let it sit. The longer you let it sit the better the flavors get. If you have leftover Pico de Gallo, eat it as a side with the chip! So delicious.
Cut up the veggies:
Don’t worry about sizes too much, you will blend everything together later.
Shred the chicken and open cans:
Add the veggies to the pot:
Add the spices:
Add the green chilies and tomatoes:
Add the broth:
Puree the veggies and add the tortillas:
Slice the tortillas and place on a baking sheet:
Garnish and eat!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
FOR THE SOUP:
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 46.5 oz low sodium chicken broth ( 1 32 oz can and 1 14.5 oz can)
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4.5 oz can green chilies
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP paprika
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 6 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
FOR PICO DE GALLO:
- 4 tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- cheddar cheese, grated
- avocado, sliced into bite-sized slices
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- Sour cream
- Make pico de gallo: diced tomatoes and red onion. Roughly chop cilantro. Mix all of them together. Add lime juice. Mix together. Cover and refrigerate.
- Add 1 TBSP Olive Oil to a large pot on medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until onion is softened, about 5 min. Add the chili and paprika powder. Mix together and cook another 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and green chilies. Mix together and cook for 2 minutes more. Add chicken broth. Mix together. Take off heat and use a stick blender to puree broth until the consistency is smooth. Add tortillas and puree with a stick blender until smooth.
- Replace pot on heat and add chicken and corn. Mix and let simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 400 degrees. Slice other 6 corn tortillas into 1/2 inch slices. Place on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss together. Cook until crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Place soup in a bowl. Add the garnish of lime juice, jalapeno, cheddar cheese, avocado, pico de gallo, a dollop of sour cream and tortilla strips.
Need help? Here’s how Laura does it