Now that Easter is finished, the aftermath has set in. Candy has been eaten, eggs have been found and bunnies have been seen. But what to do with all that ham you have leftover from the family gathering? You could eat ham on rolls, which is my personal favorite, but there are only so many rolls you can eat. An alternative is technically a breakfast item, though this would also be great for Brinner.
Now you may be asking yourself what is brinner? If you watched Scrubs like I did, you should already know, but in case you don’t. Brinner (n.) (Brin-ner): The delicious idea of eating traditional breakfast foods in the evening. The result is magnificent. Anyway, this strata is amazing. The best way to describe it would be a crunchy, savory bread pudding. So good.
Cut up the bread and the asparagus:
Layer the bread on the bottom:
Add a layer of cheese:
Add garlic powder, onions, green onion, ham, asparagus and more bread:
Mix up milk and egg mixture to add:
Add more asparagus and ham:
After 30 min of cooking, take out and make indentations with the back of a spoon:
Add eggs into indentations:
Easter Leftovers: Ham and Asparagus Strata
- 1/4 lb. Asparagus Spears ( about 15-16 skinny spears)
- 2 1/2 cups ciabatta bread
- 1 cup Shredded mozzarella
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/8 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 lb ham chopped
- 7 eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk (1%)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8 by 8 glass cooking dish. Place a large pot of water, about 1/2 way full on high heat.
- Trim asparagus and cut into 2-inch pieces. Once the water is boiling, add asparagus, cooking till bright green, about 5 min. Once done, strain out the asparagus and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut bread into bite-sized cubes, chop onion, green onion, ham and measure out the cheese. Whisk 3 eggs with milk in a small bowl.
- Place 1/2 of the bread cubes on the bottom of the dish. Add cheese on top. Then add garlic powder, onion and green onion. Add 1/2 of the ham and asparagus. Top with remaining bread. Add the milk and egg mixture evenly over the bread. Press bread down into the mixture. add the remaining ham and asparagus.
- Cook for 30 min uncovered.
- After 30 min, take out of the oven and use the back of a spoon to make 4 evenly spaced indentations in the strata. Crack and add 1 egg into each indentation, for a total of four eggs. Place back in oven uncovered and cook until eggs are set, about 20 minutes more. For the last 2 minutes, turn on broiler to get the bread crunchy. Cook till bread is brown or until the desired coloring is achieved.
- Cut the strata into 4 pieces, and serve.
- Fat (g): 16.6
- Saturated (g): 7
- Cholesterol (mg): 353.9
- Fiber (g): 1.4
- Sugars (g): 2.8
- Protein (g): 28.7
- Vitamin A (%): 16.2
- Vitamin C (%): 2.1
- Calcium (%) 23.7
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Recipe See original Here: