You know when you have all these plastic bags with 1 or 2 pieces of chicken in the freezer and you don’t know what to do with it? This is one of my “clean out the fridge” meals that solves that problem. I used chicken breasts, thighs and bone in breasts, but you can use whatever you have in the fridge. Just make sure all of your chicken is defrosted before beginning.
Place the chicken on the bottom. It is okay to stack the chicken on top of each other. At the very top, place the veggies. You want to keep the veggies separate because you will have to pull them out at the end.
After 4 hours, the chicken is all cooked and the vegetables are tender.
Pull out the onions, garlic, tomatillos and jalapenos out of the slow cooker and place in a blender.
The verde sauce one it is all pureed.
Shred the chicken and pour the sauce on top of the chicken. Mix everything together.
Add about 1/4 cup of chicken to the tortilla.
Add about 1 1/2 TBSP of Cheese on top of the chicken.
Roll the enchilada and place the tortilla seam side down.
Spread the avocado sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the enchiladas. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- IN THE SLOW COOKER:
- 4 lb Chicken (breast, thighs, bone in breasts, whatever you have)
- 3 jalapenos, stem cut off
- 9 tomatillos, husks removed and cleaned
- 1 onion, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 TSP Garlic Powder
- 2 TSP Onion Powder
- 2 TSP Pepper
- 1 TSP Cumin
- 2 TSP Ground Coriander
- 1 TSP Chili Powder
- 1 cup water
- FOR THE ENCHILADAS:
- 1¾ cups of shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 18 flour tortillas
- 2 cups Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 4 Avocados
- 1 cup Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 3 Limes, Juiced
- 1 TSP Pepper
- 1 TSP Garlic Powder
- FOR THE GARNISH:
- 1 cup Cilantro, Chopped
- Layer the chicken in the slow cooker. Make sure it is completely defrosted before cooking. Sprinkle all of the spices over the chicken. Place the jalapenos, tomatillos, onion and garlic on top of the chicken, making sure to let them sit on top so you can easily pull out later. Pour water into the slow cooker. Put lid on turn to low and cook for 2 hours. Turn to high and cook for 2 more hours until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Pull all the vegetables out of the slow cooker and place in blender. Puree the mixture till smooth. Remove chicken place on a cutting board and shred chicken, discarding skin and bones.
- Place the chicken back in the slow cooker. Pour the sauce over the chicken and mix until evenly distributed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Make enchiladas, place about ¼ cup of chicken mixture in tortilla. Sprinkle 1½ TBSP of Cheddar Cheese on top of chicken. Roll tortilla and place it seam side down in a large glass baking dish. Repeat till all chicken mixture is gone, which makes about 18 enchiladas. You will need to use between 2-3 glass baking dishes, depending on the size.
- Make the sauce. Add avocado, yogurt, lime juice, pepper and garlic powder to blender. Puree until smooth. Use a spatula to evenly distribute sauce over all dishes of enchiladas. Divide and sprinkle the Mexican cheese over all the enchiladas.
- Cover in foil and bake until cheese is melting and bubbly, about 20 minutes.