Berry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
As a kid, I always used to make coffee cake with Bisquick, yes Bisquick. This is a much more grown up version of my favorite coffee cake with a twist. The berries bursts with tart flavor and swirls with cream cheese. Topped with a brown sugar cinnamon top, this cake is light and so delicious. You can eat it for breakfast, but I also ate this for dessert it was that good.
Put half of the batter on the bottom of the greased pan. The batter should be sticky and airy.
Add a layer of blueberries and blackberries on top of the dough. These will bursts as they cook and make a tart, yummy layer.
Add a layer of corn starch on top of the berries. This will mix with the berry juice as they cook and keep the juice from making the cake soggy. You will not taste the cornstarch, don’t worry.
Add a layer of cream cheese mixture on top of the berries. The layer on top will also help the top layer of cake remain intact and not mushy. The key here is to use cream cheese spread, not straight cream cheese.
Add the other half of the dough on top. You make have to spread it gently with a spatula or damp hands. Just me gentle when you spread out the dough to cover.
Top with brown sugar and cinnamon. This will give a crunchy and sweet flavor.
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 TBSP Low Fat Milk
- 1/2 Cup Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 4 TBSP Butter
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 2 TSP Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Powder
- 9 oz Blueberries
- 6 oz blackberries, halved
- 1 1/2 TBSP Corn Starch
- 4 oz. Reduced Fat Cream Cheese Spread (the kind you put on a bagel)
- 3 TBSP Granulated Sugar
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 TBSP Ground Cinnamon
- Grease a 8 by 8 glass baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Make the batter. Add flour, brown sugar, baking soda and baking powder to a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients together. Mix eggs, milk, greek yogurt and vanilla extract together until evenly distributed. In a small bowl microwave butter until partially melted, about 25 seconds. Add to wet ingredients and mix together
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix together until fully incorporated. Add slightly less than 1/2 the batter to evenly cover the bottom of the pan. Top with berries and sprinkle over batter. Sprinkle corn starch over the berries.
- Mix the cream cheese with granulated sugar. Add dollops of cream cheese all over the berries. Using the rest of the batter, spread evenly over the top of the berries. Use a spatula or damp hands to gently spread the batter evenly
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon for the topping. Sprinkle over top of cake.
- Cook in oven to 45 minutes, rotating 1/2 way through. Let cool and enjoy!