As I was eating this burger I had a hard time coming up with one that could top my tex-mex burger. It was just that good. What I really enjoyed was that it was not your typical burger but it also didn’t taste like a taco. The flavors just made it taste very fresh and juicy. If you need something different for burger night, this is definitely a winner.
Mix ground beef with salsa and spices. These patties are about 1/2 lb. The salsa does not overwhelm the beef, if just adds a tang and quite a bit of flavor to the burger. If you are making the patties ahead of time, take them out the fridge about 15 minutes before you plan to cook them so they can come to room temperature. This allows the burgers to cook evenly.
Add burger to a hot pan, then after about 3 minutes 30 seconds flip over and add cheese. Cook for another 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Make sure to resist the temptation to press down on the burgers. Just let them be! If you squish them, you will push out all the juices.
Assemble the burger: Place the patty on a toasted bun. Quickly toast the buns either on the grill or under the broiler. They get done fast to make sure to watch them.
Add salsa on top of the patty. You may be thinking that this may be too much salsa, but I assure you it is not. The flavors will be very balanced.
Top with red onion. The sweet red onion will add some crunch, color and sweetness to the burger.
Place cilantro inside the red onion. This gives the burger the fresh flavor that it needs.
Add avocado to the bun. The creamy avocado replaces any mayonnaise and unhealthy fats. Get that creamy texture without filling out your waistline.
- FOR THE BEEF:
- 2 lb 90% Lean Ground Beef
- 4 TBSP Your Favorite Jarred Salsa
- 1 TSP Chili Powder
- 1 TSP Paprika
- 2 TSP Cumin
- 1 TSP Pepper
- 1 TSP Salt
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 4 Hamburger Buns, Toasted
- 8 thin slices red onion
- ¾ cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 TBSP Salsa
- 4 Slices Pepper jack Cheese
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Preheat broiler. Heat large frying pan to medium high heat. Make patties: Take the ground beef, add salsa and spices. Mix together till evenly distributed. Place patties on frying pan and cook for 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Flip over and place 1 slice of cheese on each patty. Cook for another 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Meanwhile, get out all toppings and toast buns. Once done, let burger rest for 5 minutes on a plate.
- Assemble burger: Place patty on bun. Top with 1 TBSP Salsa, then 2 slices of red onion. Place ¼ of the cilantro on red onion and then place avocado on top bun. Add bun to burger and serve with some fresh corn and potato wedges.