This is a great meal to clean out your freezer. I found a pieces of flank steak I had forgotten about and threw it in the crock pot with a few pantry and fresh ingredients and an awesome meal was created. You can really use any piece of beef you have, a top round roast, top sirloin or another cut of steak. Everyone in your family will love this meal, it is fun to eat with your hands. Just make sure to bring lots of napkins.
Add the beef, spices, tomatoes, jalapenos and tomatillos to the crock pot:
Once the beef is done, shred the beef and pour some of the sauce over the beef:
Lay some chips in the bottom on a glass dish:
Sprinkle cheese on top of chips:
Place in oven to melt cheese:
Place beef on top:
Add beans, salsa, avocado and then cilantro:
- 2 Lb Flank Steak
- 14.5 oz Fire Roasted Canned Tomatoes
- 4.5 oz Canned Green Chilies
- 1 Jalapeno, Roughly Chopped
- 4 Tomatillos, Halved
- 2 TBSP Chili Powder
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
- 1 TBSP Onion Powder
- 1 TBSP Pepper
- 2 TSP Salt
- 4 cups Tortilla Chips
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 14 oz black beans, rinsed
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Your Favorite Jarred Salsa
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- FOR THE GARNISH:
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- Place beef in crock pot. Add tomatoes, green chilies, jalapeno, tomatillos and spices. Place lid on crock pot and turn on low. Let cook for 7 hours or until beef is tender. In the last 45 minutes place beans in the slow cooker.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Take beef out of crock pot. Place in cutting board and shred with forks. Place in a medium bowl and add some of the sauce from crock pot about 1 cup, to the beef. Toss beef with sauce. Add more if needed. Add bean to bowl by using a slotted spoon to remove from crock pot.
- Place chips in the bottom of of a 9 by 13 glass baking dish. Sprinkle cheese on top. Place in oven and cook until cheese is melted about 5-7 minutes. Add beef and beans on top. Using a spoon, drizzle salsa over nachos. Add avocado and cilantro.
- Serve family style with small serving dishes to eat from. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a bit of lime juice. Enjoy!