Mini Bell Peppers Stuffed with Turkey, Tomatillos and Chipotle
These little guys would be great for parties ( you can even pick them up and eat them), or just times when you want to eat small things. The sweet bell pepper with the chipotle and tomatillo infused turkey is a great way to get those Latin flavors without all the calories.
Cut off the tops of the peppers and discard any insides:
Roast tomatillos, onion and garlic:
Add roasted veggies and tomatoes, spices, chipotles and green chilies to blender:
Mix Sauce with turkey meat and black beans:
Stuff peppers and place into glass baking dish:
Roast and then broil at the end to get some color:
- 10 oz lean ground turkey
- 7 oz canned fire roasted tomatoes ( about 1/2 a can)
- 4 oz can green chilies
- 3 oz chipotles in adobo ( about 1/2 a can)
- 3 tomatillos
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 TBSP Chili Powder
- 1 TBSP Ground Cumin
- 1 TBSP Paprika
- 1 TSP Ground Coriander
- 7 oz canned black beans ( about 1/2 a can)
- 20 mini bell peppers (you can buy in a large bag)
- Roast the vegetables: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Cut the tomatillos in half, slice the onion into 1/2 in slices and remove garlic from covering. Place on baking sheet. Roast till tomatillos are tender and start to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile,make the sauce: Add tomatillos, onion, garlic, tomatoes, green chilies, chipotles, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and coriander to blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowel, add the turkey, beans, and sauce, Mix together until everything is evenly distributed.
- Cut tops off mini bell peppers and remove any seeds. Stuff turkey mixture into peppers until slightly overflowing. Place in 9 by 13 glass dish. Repeat for all bell peppers.
- Cook at 400 for 20 minutes. For the last 5 minutes, turn on the broiler and get some color on the peppers.
- Serve with your favorite salsa (used my Pico De Gallo from my tortilla soup), sour cream and avocado.
Double the turkey mixture and make a Turkey Enchilada Bake or double the turkey and freeze half for later!